Image Credit: Charlotte Observer
After Hurricane Matthew hit the Lowcountry and its surrounding areas in late October of 2016, many of us hope that we never have to go through anything like that again.
But according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), South Carolina and other parts of the U.S. are expected to have an “above normal” hurricane season. Predictions say that there is a possibility of having anywhere between 11 and 17 tropical storms, with 5 to 9 of those storms becoming hurricanes, and 2 to 4 becoming major hurricanes.
“There’s a potential for a lot of hurricane activity this year,” said Ben Friedman, the acting NOAA administrator.
Because of the mix of environmental factors that could weaken or strengthen the climate’s potential of storms, it’s uncertain truly how high the forecast really is. But, NOAA did state that there is a 20 percent chance of a quieter season, a 35 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 45 percent chance of an “above normal” season.
The forecast “really underscores the importance of preparedness,” Friedman said.
It has been a record-breaking 12 years since there has been a catastrophic hurricane that has made landfall in the U.S. but with strong tropical storms and well-built smaller hurricanes like Matthew, these storms can be just as dangerous and deadly as major hurricanes.
The “official” start date for the 2017 Hurricane season was June 1st, and is planned to last through November. There has already been strong activity that has been detected in the Atlantic Ocean with Tropical Storm Arlene. Because this type of activity is becoming so strong so early into the year, it is obvious that we must do everything we can to prepare ourselves for Hurricane Matthew round two, or even something more drastic.