Featured Image Credit: Charleston CVB
With Charleston taking the crown for Travel and Leisure’s Top City in the United States (five years running) and coming in at #2 for the World’s Top 15 Cities, we decided to take a closer look at what makes our city so deserving of these gllooorrriioooouuusssss titles.
Trust us, it wasn’t hard, like, at all. Sure, it’s the abundance of yummy restaurants, the southern hospitality, easy access to beaches and a slower-paced way of living, but it’s also so much more than that, and we want to show them some love. So here are our top 20 reasons (not in order whatsoever) to fall in love with our southern charm all over again.
- Rainbow Row– because who doesn’t enjoy walking down the street looking like it’s owned by Roy G Biv?
2. Cobblestone – You’re able to walk around on the same ground as some major historical figures.
3. Horse Carriages – Because a carriage ride takes us back in time to when our city was full of dirt roads, horses and buggy’s.
4. Historic Downtown – Elegant homes, antique shops, cobblestone roads, confederate jasmine, gas lanterns…what more could you ask for?
5. Fort Sumter – Being able to see where the start of one of the biggest wars in history went down is definitely something to treasure.
6. Food – It’s quite overwhelming how many choices we have when it comes to places to eat. But no matter where we decide, there is always somewhere fabulous with excellent service to stuff our faces with homemade meals and local produce.
7. Walk Everywhere – It’s so easy to explore Charleston on foot, and not many major cities can say that. There are plenty of beautiful walking paths and sleepy streets to stroll along.
9. The Weather – It’s always sunny in Philadelphia?? Nahhh, try again… it’s always sunny in Charleston.
10. History – Our history is one of the longest and most diverse of any community in the United States, spanning hundreds of years of physical settlement beginning in 1670 through modern times. It was also the leading city in the South from the colonial era down to the Civil War.
11. The Ravenel Bridge – Whether you’re driving, walking, biking or running, crossing the bridge gives you a sense of calmness as you look over the beautiful city.
12. Folly Beach, Sullivan’s Island and IOP – Because with everything there is to do in Charleston, you even have the chance to get sand in between your toes.
13. Hootie and the Blowfish – Darius Rucker is like our MVP, next to Bill Murray. Let Her Cry, Hold My Hand and Only Wanna Be With You are always jam worthy. Always.
14. The People – A beautiful city made even more beautiful by its kind-hearted people.
15. Sunsets – Like, seriously, no matter where you are in Charleston they are always perfect.
16. Craft Beer Scene – Breweries are blowing up all over the Lowcountry. Whether you’re in West Ashley, North Charleston or downtown, there is always a hoppy experience that awaits nearby.
17. Shem Creek – Grab a drink with friends on the water, rent a paddle board, take a ride on the Palmetto Breeze Catamaran…there’s so much to do on this little slice of paradise.
18. Riverdogs Baseball – In the south, we don’t only take our college football seriously, we also take our baseball seriously too (with serious hopes that Bill Murray makes an appearance at a game!)
19. North Charleston Coliseum – Everyone from KISS, Taylor Swift, Jay-Z, Prince and Ed Sheeran has played there.
20. Events – Every year, people flock to Charleston from near and far for annual events like The Charleston Wine and Food Festival, SEWE, Spoleto/Piccolo, the Volvo Car Open, Southern Ground Music Festival and so much more.