Yes, it’s true. Even as America’s No. 1 city, Charleston still has its fair share of rainy days. When it’s a little too rainy to go to the beach, take a stroll down by the Battery or grab a drink at one of Charleston’s (many) rooftop bars, there’s still so much to explore in the Holy City. Take a peek at our top 5 rainy day activities below:
1. SC Aquarium: Take a trip to the SC Aquarium for a fun day indoors. Rain or shine, there are plenty of animals to see at the Aquarium. You can take a tour of the state of the art sea turtle hospital, visit the touch tank, or even stand out on the covered patio to try and spot some dolphins in the water below!
2. Museums: Charleston is chock-full of museums, so choose wisely and head out for a day of entertainment and education. Two local favorites are the Gibbes Museum, where you’ll find art, gardens and a charming little cafe, and the Charleston Museum, which claims the title as America’s first and oldest museum.
3. USS Yorktown: Spend the day in Mt. Pleasant on the USS Yorktown, one of the US Navy’s retired WWII battleships. A national historic monument, the USS Yorktown is home to the Medal of Honor Museum and the Vietnam Experience Exhibit.
4. The Alley: Food, drinks and fun – what more could you ask for on a rainy day? Head to The Alley for some bowling, pool and quality time with friends as you wait for the rain to pass. Be sure to get an order of their loaded tater tots too, you won’t regret it!
5. Escape Rooms: Take a trip to Escape in 60 or Escape Game Charleston with a few friends to see if you can beat the clock. An hour’s worth of riddles, puzzles and challenges awaits!
Even though Charleston is mostly known for sunny temps, plenty of beaches and beauty that can be found no matter where you walk, there are still plenty of things to do if it happens to rain. If your favorite rainy day activity isn’t included in our list above, let us know by clicking here!