A diesel fuel spill at Dill Creek on James Island has the U.S. Coast Guard involved in the cleanup. Over 3,100 gallons of fuel were spilled from an above-ground tank near Plum Island Wastewater Treatment Plant.
Immediately 20% of the spill was cleaned up, leaving 80% floating in the marsh. Mike Saia of Charleston Water System says it might take up to a week to clean the entirety of the spill. The leakage began around 7 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 15.
In order to best remove the diesel fuel from the marsh, a vacuum truck has been placed at the site. The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control is aiding the U.S. Coast Guard in the cleanup.
The marsh has a strange red tinted color, due to the red-dye diesel fuel. The main concern for the spill is geared toward the many small animals and wildlife that reside there. Baby crabs, shrimp, and fish are all largely impacted by the spill. Long-term effects have yet to be reported.